May 27th, 2020
Do you ever find yourself gnawing at your nails? Nail-biting is a very common and difficult to break habit which usually has its beginnings in childhood. It can leave your fingers and nail beds red and swollen. But if you think that your nails are the only ones getting roughed up by nail-biting you'd be mistaken—so are your teeth!
According to a study by the Academy of General Dentistry, those who bite their nails, clench their teeth, or chew on pencils are at much higher risk to develop bruxism (unintentional grinding of the teeth). Bruxism can lead to tooth sensitivity, tooth loss, receding gums, headaches, and general facial pain.
Those are some nasty sounding side effects from chewing on your nails. Most nail-biting is a sign of stress or anxiety and its something you should deal with. So what steps can you take if you have a nail-biting habit?
There are several things you can do to ease up on nail-biting:
- Trim your nails shorter and/or get regular manicures – Trimming your nails shorter is an effective remedy. In so doing, they'll be less tempting and more difficult to bite on. If you also get regular manicures, you’ll be less likely to ruin the investment you’ve made in your hands and fingernails!
- Find a different kind of stress reduction – Try meditation, deep breathing, practicing qigong or yoga, or doing something that will keep your hands occupied like squeezing a stress ball or playing with a yo-yo.
- Wear a bitter-tasting nail polish – When your nails taste awful, you won't bite them! Clear or colored, it doesn't matter. This is also a helpful technique for helping children get over the habit.
- Figure out what triggers your nail-biting – Sometimes it's triggered by stress or anxiety and other times it can be a physical stressor, like having hang nails. Knowing what situations cause you to bite your nails will help you to avoid them and break the habit.
- Wear gloves or bandages on your fingers – If you've tried the steps above and they aren't working, this technique can prove effective since your fingernails won't be accessible to bite.
If you're still having trouble with nail-biting after trying these self-help steps, it's best to consult your doctor, dermatologist, or Dr. Hershey. For some, it may also be the sign of a deeper psychological or emotional problem.
Whatever the cause, nail-biting is a habit you need to break for your physical and emotional well-being. If you have any questions about the effects it can have on your oral health, please don't hesitate to ask Dr. Hershey during your next visit to our Durham, NC office.
April 28th, 2020
A lot of our patients, (especially you parents!) come to Hershey Orthodontics convinced that traditional braces are the only answer to straight teeth. We are proud to offer Damon Smile in our Durham, NC office, which can give you better results in less time than traditional orthodontic treatment! Damon Smile braces also allow your teeth to move more comfortably and easily than traditional braces. With Damon Smile, achieving that perfect smile will be faster and easier than you ever thought possible.
Some questions we will go over at your initial consultation include:
Are you right for Damon Smile?
Our team at Hershey Orthodontics will evaluate your eligibility for treatment with Damon Smile, and the procedure can be performed for kids and adults alike!
What makes Damon braces better?
Probably the biggest advantage of Damon braces over traditional brackets is the amount of time and effort involved. We can often cut months off of the total treatment time for patients using Damon Smile, and less visits to our office are necessary to make adjustments.
In addition, the Damon Smile brackets are cleaner and do not use the elastic traditional brackets do. They are also less prone to plaque buildup. In addition, Damon braces are smaller and have fewer parts than traditional brackets, making them less noticeable and more comfortable. With Damon Smile, you will not experience any tightening, unlike with traditional braces. Dr. Hershey can position your teeth and avoid frequent adjustments, which also reduces the need for complicated tooth extractions or surgery.
If you have been thinking about obtaining a dazzling smile, please give us a call at Hershey Orthodontics for an initial consultation to see if Damon Smile is right for you!
April 21st, 2020
During the early days of the environmental awareness movement, those who demonstrated against pollution, toxic chemicals, and the general public health were known as hippies. The early 1970s were a time of change, and assertions that we needed to pay more attention to the Earth's atmosphere were generally dismissed. But within a couple decades, it had become clear that the previous generation was right; the citizens of the world needed to become more environmentally conscious.
Many people feel that they can't make a difference if they don't do something big. But caring for the environment doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing concept. In fact, the little things you do can add up to make a great impact, especially in our community. Here are a few ways you can help the environment on Earth Day, April 22nd and all year around.
Four Small Ways to be Environmentally Friendly
- Recycle Your Textiles. Nearly 21 million tons of textiles are added to American landfills each year, according to the Environmental Protection Agency. Donating your unwanted clothing to a secondhand store or an organization that repurposes fabric helps cut down on solid waste and conserves natural resources.
- Reduce Usage of Disposables. Plastic bottles and bags, disposable diapers and other things we can use and toss out are convenient, but they're not necessary. Simply choosing to replace one of type of disposable with a reusable product can help you cut down on waste that has a large negative impact on our environment.
- Conserve Water. If everyone in the United States turned off the water while brushing their teeth, more than 1.5 million gallons of water could be conserved. Turn the water on long enough to wet your toothbrush for brushing and rinsing, and then immediately turn the water off again.
- Turn Off the Lights. Flip the light switch to "Off" if you're going to leave a particular room for 15 minutes or more. This will conserve energy on incandescent light bulbs and cut down on cooling costs.
It's not necessary to be an activist or install solar panels all over your home to help the environment. Although you can do these things, the little everyday measures make a big difference in helping to conserve energy and the environment, while reducing your carbon footprint. Our team at Hershey Orthodontics wants to remind you to celebrate Earth Day and help the environment, knowing that it will benefit your and your children's generation.
April 14th, 2020
After you complete your orthodontic treatment at our Durham, NC office and have your Damon Smile braces removed, you will most likely be given a retainer to wear by Dr. Hershey. Retainers will help protect all of the time and money that you’ve invested into your newly aligned teeth, by keeping them in place for many years to come. You will have the self-confidence to smile proudly and know that you have had the best possible treatment.
Many orthodontists prefer to place a permanent bonded retainer behind your front teeth, either on the top or bottom or sometimes both. These are preferred due to the fact that they can be placed on your teeth and forgot about. There is no need to keep track of it, or worry about losing or cleaning it. They are the simplest to deal with long term, and they last can last for many years.
Many people do prefer removable retainers but there is a bit more maintenance that you need to be aware of if you choose to go this route.
- You must remove your retainer while you eat and drink.
- You must remember to wear as your orthodontist advised; most patients wear them all night.
- Remove when brushing your teeth and also brush the retainer.
- Retainers can break, so be careful with them.
In order to know what is the best method of caring for your smile after your Damon Smile braces are removed you should speak to Dr. Hershey. You definitely want to protect your investment and smile!